5 Fantastic Reasons To Plan A Wedding in Italy

Italy is one of my favourite countries in the world – overflowing with history, artwork, mouthwatering food and wine, it’s extremely difficult not to fall for the country’s charms. In 2014, my love for Italy deepened even more when I made the transition fromย Miss to Mrs. Whilst I haven’t quite turned into the domestic goddess my husband may have been hoping for ๐Ÿ˜†, I did organiseย a pretty epic Italian wedding. If you’re currently wedding planning and you’re looking for some wedding inspiration, then here areย 5 fantastic reasons to have a wedding in Italy!ย

The Landscape

Italy is blessed with every single type of landscape imaginable. Whether your heart beats for Tuscany, you’re captivated by the Amalfi or you’ve fallen for the shores of Lake Como, wedding landscapes really don’t come more idyllic than Italy.

Wine

Italian wine needs no introduction. As producers of some of the best wine in the world, you can’t go wrong when it comes to sourcing excellent quality wine and prosecco for your wedding. Even more enticing however is the cost!ย Italy is full of vineyards so, the chances of a wine producer being located within close proximity of your wedding venue is high.ย Mr O’T and I married in Tuscany at Castello di Meletoย and aside from boasting stunning grounds, the castle run their own vineyard. This is not uncommon in Tuscany which makes it an ideal wedding location in more ways than one and gives you that much needed excuse to go wine tasting in Chiantiย ๐Ÿ˜‰.

wedding in Tuscany

The Weather

Whilst you can never quite predict the weather, you have a much better chance of glorious weather in Italia, than you do closer to home. This is especially true if you’re not opting for a winter wedding. My wedding in Italy was on the last weekend in September and we were blessed with temperatures of 28C. The following week, the hubbie and I mini-mooned on the islands of Capri and Ischia and temperatures hit the early 30s and this was October!ย

tuscan wedding

The Fairytale Wedding Venue

With so many different types of venue to choose from, you really are spoilt for choice. Whether you’re looking for a vineyard, a beach wedding or a historic venue, Italy really does have something for everyone. I opted for a Castle wedding which surpassed my wildest dreams. I hadn’t really considered castles as a viable option until we began hunting for a venue but I was knocked for six when we arrived in the Chianti wine region and found ourselves surrounded by rolling hills and stunning castles, all at a snippet of what you would pay in the UK. Our guests were overjoyed at flying out to Italy and the majority took additional time off and made a holiday out of it by staying even longer!

Food

If you have a slight obsession with food, then the one thing you categorically don’t need to worry about, is your guests going hungry as the Italians really know how to put on a feast! Guests are treated to unlimited cocktails, prosecco, beers and all you can eat burrata, mozzarella and prosciutto during Aperitivo hour before sitting down for a wedding breakfast that consists of between five and seven courses!

Why Italy

Some might say that getting married abroad is risky but I would disagree. As long as you do your homework and do thorough research into your venue and suppliers, as you would with any wedding, then you can’t go wrong. Getting married in Italy was truly magical and the setting absolutely spectacular. The outpouring of love that was shared by all over delicious food and wine ensured that a memorable weekend was had by all. Here are a few of my favourite photos from the day just incase you need a little more convincingย ๐Ÿ˜‰….

wedding in italy

Would you consider renewing your vows or having your wedding in Italy?ย

1. June 19, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Woooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! I love this!!!!! Such a beautiful setting and you looked stunning. I still can’t really believe I’m getting married at the same venue. Seriously so crazy!! Talk about how we were meant to be friends! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Your 5 reasons are exactly what I thought. And I don’t even know which was more important…wine, food, setting….it’s all amazing!! Hope you have fun celebrating your anniversary this year ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’—

xx Mayling

• June 19, 2017 / 9:56 pm

Thanks May!!! I know – it was literally 11 months ago when Carli and I were working in Miami and she said ‘one of my best friends is getting married in Tuscany, I’ll have to find out the name of the venue”…such a small world!! Also you have fabulous taste so we were totally meant to be friends ๐Ÿ˜‰ xx

2. June 19, 2017 / 9:22 pm

Beautiful. Great dress! I got married in the days before Pinterest and on a tight budget at the time…so many things I would do differently now (though marrying the same guy is one thing I wouldn’t change)! Amalfi coast is my dream location.

• June 19, 2017 / 9:54 pm

Thank you Melissa! You should totally consider renewing your wedding vows and where better to do it than the Amalfi Coast ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. June 20, 2017 / 7:32 am

So beautiful Maggie!! What a dream, getting married in such a stunning location. You both look utterly gorgeous together x

• July 2, 2017 / 3:30 pm

Thank you so much Sima! It was literally the most magical day ever and I love any excuse to return. I’m currently plotting my Tuscan farmhouse holiday home with pool ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

4. June 20, 2017 / 10:12 am

This is absolutely beautiful, Maggie! I love Italy so much and can imagine it would be the most romantic wedding spot! And for the guests – all you can eat burrata – HOW INCREDIBLE! I’d love that!

• July 2, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Thank you so much Reena! Italy is hands down an incredible location for a wedding. There was so much delicious food including a great selection of hams and cheeses during cocktail hour. The bellinis were pretty great too ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

5. June 20, 2017 / 11:08 am

What gorgeous photos Maggie! You look beautiful and so happy. I can imagine it was wonderful to get married in Italy with the picturesque views and delicious food. I’ve only been to Italy once and that was on a school trip! I would love to visit the country a great deal more in the future xx

LuxeStyle

• July 2, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Thank you so much Jenny!! You should definitely return to Italy when you get chance and I couldn’t recommend the beautiful hills of Tuscany more ๐Ÿ™‚ – we come once a year now to reminisce about our wedding day xx

6. June 20, 2017 / 8:10 pm

Maggie, your wedding photos are incredible!! You look amazing!! I totally agree, my best friend’s Italian wedding was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever been to.

• July 2, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Thank you so much Angie!! The whole weekend was magical but our wedding was quite literally perfect…to us anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ ! Italy is such a great location for a wedding

7. June 20, 2017 / 11:39 pm

Awww Maggie these photos are gorgeous!!! You look stunning, looks perfect x

• July 2, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Thank you so much Asma! The whole weekend was perfect and it really was like a fairytale ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

8. Gabrielle
    June 21, 2017 / 11:47 am

How dreamy and romantic to have been married in Italy – such a beautiful idea Maggie, and I’m completely head over heels in love with your wedding photos! Your princess dress, the lights wrapping around the trees, the horses… wow!

aglassofice.com
    x

• July 2, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Thank you Gabrielle – it was the most beautiful location and Tuscany is such a stunning part of Italy. If you haven’t yet visited then you must as I guarantee you will love it! It also makes for an incredibly romantic wedding location ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

9. Suze
    June 23, 2017 / 9:35 am

Those wedding shots are simply amazing! You both look so happy. We have friends who got married in Italy and it was great fun. What is the little car you drove off in – very cute

• July 2, 2017 / 3:20 pm

Thanks Suze – we were super pleased with our photographer! It was a vintage fiat that we hired to return in as Ian refused to go in a horse and cart lol!

10. June 25, 2017 / 4:32 pm

SUCH stunning photographs Maggie, thanks so much for sharing these with us they are absolutely beautiful and so romantic! I can see why you chose Italy as a wedding destination! It’s ever so gorgeous.

The weather, food, wine, overall atmosphere is just spectacular in Italy, your wedding looked absolutely magical.

Lots of love,

Laura xo

• July 2, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Thank you Laura – it literally was the most amazing wedding destination / location! Everything from the weather to the food to the wine to the band were all just perfect. For one incredible day I was transported to a land of fairytales ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

11. July 23, 2017 / 4:44 pm

As you know, my husband is Italian so it was a no-brainer to get married there. Totally agree with all your points – you can’t beat the setting, food, wine, weather and PRICE. Your wedding looked magical!

• August 1, 2017 / 10:04 am

I love that Italy is like your second home!! Which part of Italy did you get married? Were in the same boat…I literally couldn’t recommend Italy as a venue any more!