The Power of Writing a Bucket List

Me and bucket lists go way back. Four years to be exact or even earlier if you count every single bratty demand I ever asked of my parents. Whether it’s travel related, career related, blog related or personal development related, I really can’t get enough of a good bucket list!

bucket list

My First Bucket List

My first bucket list came along at the grand old age of 29. At the time, I felt 29 seemed a little old, but now I’m well into my 30s, I most definitely disagree. When I hit 29, I went into a bit of a panic. I was about to hit the big 3-0 and I felt like I hadn’t really lived life. This was absurd of course. I’d visited more places than anyone I knew and I was racking up business air miles like there was no tomorrow. Nevertheless, I felt the urge. The urge to write down a list of all the things I wanted to experience before I hit 30 and the urge to follow them up with an action plan to #makeithappen!

bucket list

So off I went, on a mad spree round the world, giving my husband a hernia with our credit card bill and trying to experience as many of the things listed on my ’30 Things To Do Before You’re 30′ bucket list. Whilst I didn’t manage to achieve everything on my list, I did experience the vast majority and I had a phenomenal time doing so.

bucket list

I’ve since written bucket lists every year and with it I’ve experienced some pretty incredibly moments. This year alone has been an utter marvel. So far in 2017, I’ve released my very own lantern into the sky at the Taiwan Lantern Festival, I’ve watched the Sunrise over Angkor Wat in Cambodia, I’ve experienced a magical hot air balloon ride over Bagan in Myanmar, I’ve been to The World’s First Underwater Spa in The Maldives, I’ve danced in the sunflower fields in Tuscany and I’ve hiked the Cinque Terre in Italy.

bucket list

The Power of Writing a Bucket List

There’s a common misconception that bucket lists should be reserved for your later years in life which is ludicrous. No matter how big or small your goal, the time is now! Always write your goals down because the minute you start writing out all the amazing things you want to see and do, is the minute that your brain kicks into gear and says “you know what, let’s do this, let’s make this happen”. You’re conscious suddenly becomes recognisant of your subconscious and you’ll take active steps towards making your dreams happen! Someone once told me that “we’re here for a good time, not necessarily a long time”…so…what are you waiting for?

bucket list

Have you ever written a bucket list or do you feel inspired to write one?

1. July 11, 2017 / 7:51 am

I LOVE lists! My first was things to achieve before my 21st and since then it’s been a tradition. I love how it can be inclusive and encourage others to join in too. I’m adding all your 2017 items onto my next one!!

• July 17, 2017 / 12:12 am

Hahaha 🙂 !!! I have a pretty unhealthy obsession with lists too 🙂 ..I love that you started at 20!

2. July 11, 2017 / 12:38 pm

You’ve achieved so many wonderful things Maggie! I think bucket lists can be extremely inspiring. I don’t have one myself, but I think I will write one at some point when life calms down a little x

LuxeStyle

• July 17, 2017 / 12:10 am

Thank you Jenny! I’ve often found bucket lists to really spur me on and uplift me when I’ve been going through tough moment so I really couldn’t recommend one more 🙂 xx

3. Suze
    July 11, 2017 / 1:58 pm

It’s great to have a bucket list and I agree that there’s no need to wait until you’re older to start ticking places off it!

• July 17, 2017 / 12:03 am

Exactly! I’m trying to encourage all my friends and family to write bucket lists and to live for the moment!

4. July 11, 2017 / 4:02 pm

Yes! I have one!

5. July 11, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I make bucket lists all the time. It’s a great way to focus on your next goals and making them happen through saving money or saving airline miles, points, etc… I got Bora Bora off my list this year. I have found that my lists got a little more generic after turning 40 – they went from specific things like “visit a temple in Bali” to “go to Asia.” Gives me a little more flexibility….

• July 16, 2017 / 11:59 pm

I can understand that 🙂 – I love lists…I used to just have the one but now I’m finding myself with travel bucket lists, restaurant bucket lists and my lists seem to be never-ending at the moment but a great problem to have!

6. July 12, 2017 / 7:46 am

I totally agree Maggie! There’s no day but today and the time is really now. I’m a firm believer of grabbing opportunities because really and truly we can’t take regret all the chances we didn’t take!

• July 16, 2017 / 11:58 pm

Absolutely Honey…life is short and we’re here for a good time and not necessarily a long time so it’s all about making the most of the here and the now! xx

7. July 12, 2017 / 10:02 pm

I LOVE writing lists – nothing like that feeling of excitement when u finally do something on the list!!! LOVED this post

• July 16, 2017 / 11:53 pm

Thanks love!!! I love lists too – I have so many stationary books with lists haha! xx

8. July 12, 2017 / 11:35 pm

Bucket lists or any type of ‘to do’ list are soooo my thing!!! I love adding to them. Only thing is my bucket list is mostly in my head. So I love the idea of putting it on paper to make it really happen. It’s so true!

It would be great to see another post with the remaining items on your 2017 bucket list 🙂 That way I can just add them all to mine! Haha

xxM

• July 16, 2017 / 11:52 pm

Hahahaha!!! Honestly you should definitely write them down as I find it really makes a difference on paper because then it’s like you’ve really made a commitment to making it happen 🙂 xx

9. July 13, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Love writing bucket lists too – releasing a lantern into the sky in Cambodia is definitely going on my list 🙂 It is amazing how many things you have already managed to do in 2017! Have a lovely weekend!

Miriam xx

• July 16, 2017 / 11:51 pm

I know it does seem abit surreal thinking about it but thankfully I have my blog to remind me of all the incredible memories 🙂 xx

• July 16, 2017 / 11:50 pm

I still can’t quite believe it myself – I’m so grateful to my blog and being able to look back on all the incredible memories I’ve made 🙂

10. July 17, 2017 / 4:31 pm

A lovely post Maggie! I haven’t actually written a bucket list before, but this post has inspired me to create one 🙂 Of course there are a few places I have in mind, however places I tend to find myself wanting to visit are totally at random (and I like the surprises).

It’s great to hear that you’ve fulfilled so many on your bucket list already, that’s wonderful 🙂 Travelling is such a wonderful thing to do, and a blog is a great way to document your experiences to others, I just love doing it!

Laura xo

• July 18, 2017 / 8:47 am

I love doing spontaneous things too but honestly it’s so much fun writing a bucket list and pinning wanderlusting images to a Pinterest board. I’ve definitely travelled to more places and experienced lots of incredible things since writing a bucket list 🙂 xx