Castello di Spaltenna – Tuscan Luxury in Chianti

If you’ve been reading my blog for long enough, you’ll know that I absolutely LOVE Italy and one area I’m particularly enamoured with is Tuscany. In September 2014, I threw the wedding of all weddings in the Tuscan region of Gaiole in Chianti. Not content with just the one castle, I actually celebrated my wedding at two different castles 😂 and despite exchanging vows at Castello di Spaltenna, Mr O’T and I never actually stayed here. Instead we opted to reside at nearby Castello di Meleto where our wedding breakfast took place. On a recent trip to Tuscany, Mr O’T and I put our wrongs to right and spent two wonderful nights at Castello di Spaltenna, reliving the moment that we became husband and wife.

Castello di Spaltenna

Castello di Spaltenna is a 5* star luxury resort & spa set in the heart of the Chianti wine region. Overlooking the Tuscan hills and nearby vineyards, this Castle takes the meaning of ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’ to a whole new level.

Castello di Spaltenna

The grounds are immaculate and are perfect for strolling and if you’re a fan of Cypress trees, then you’ll be in garden heaven!

Accommodation

The rooms are in keeping with Tuscan tradition with the decor simple yet understated. The beds are made from wrought iron and the writing desks and trunks date back to the 18th century. There is no extravagance here, it’s simple rustic chic.

The Pool

The outdoor swimming pool could not be located in a more picturesque setting. You’re quite literally at one with the world. Take it from me when I say, you have to experience it for yourself to truly appreciate how peaceful having down time here really is.

La Terraza

La Terraza which is the setting for breakfast, lunch and aperitivo hour could literally not be anymore idyllic! It’s my favourite view associated with Tuscany and I’m sure you can appreciate why.

Castello di Spaltenna

A generous buffet breakfast is served every morning and I guarantee, you won’t be eating breakfast in a hurry with views like this.

Fine Dining

Castello di Spaltenna is also home to Il Pievano, a One Michelin star restaurant. The creations of Head Chef Vincenzo Guarino are a twist on traditional Tuscan cuisine and are unlike any type of cuisine I’ve tried in the area before. As well as meat options, the menu features an excellent selection of fish.

Castello di Spaltenna

If Michelin Star dining isn’t your thing then you can enjoy dinner at the more casual Osteria restaurant. This is medieval in feel and serves more traditional Tuscan cuisine.

Wine Tasting

Castello di Spaltenna also produce their own wine which you can purchase onsite at the Castle’s shop. You can also request a bottle of their in-house wine with your meal.

Castello di Spaltenna

Verdict

Castello di Spaltenna is the perfect choice if you’re looking for Tuscan luxury in a peaceful and idyllic setting. The location is ideal if you’re looking to explore the local area, and perfect for indulging in wine tasting in Chianti. Lastly, if you’re planning on walking down the aisle in the near future, then here are 5 Fantastic Reasons To Plan A Wedding in Italy!

Have you visited Castello di Spaltenna before or stayed in the Chianti wine region?

1. July 24, 2017 / 7:28 pm

I bet it was wonderful to revisit here. It looks like such a peaceful and relaxing place to visit. I love that they produce their own wine too! I’ve only visited Italy once before and that was Venice. I would love to visit Tuscany one day – I always hear how lovely it is x

Jenny | LuxeStyle

• August 1, 2017 / 10:02 am

It was incredible Jenny…I would love to buy a holiday home out here one day! You would love Tuscany! xx

2. July 25, 2017 / 8:02 am

This looks absolutely stunning (and YOU look absolutely stunning!). I haven’t been to Italy for ages (last time we went was for a wedding in Tuscany as well!) but I’d love to go back! Bookmarking.

xo Jaime
    Angloyankophile

• August 1, 2017 / 10:02 am

Thank you so much Jaime that’s very kind of you to say 🙂 …you can’t beat a good Italian wedding! xx

3. Gabrielle
    July 26, 2017 / 9:51 pm

Maggie, you just keep on adoring Italy, because it means we as readers get dreamy travel inspiration like THIS on your blog to daydream over!! The breakfast area looks positively perfect, and I truly love the last photo in this post – you look so at home there!

aglassofice.com

• August 1, 2017 / 10:00 am

Haha thank you Gabrielle 🙂 – I still have a few more Italy posts to come….thought I would break them up a little 😉 xx

4. July 27, 2017 / 8:23 am

I loved reading your Tuscan post. We’re holidaying in Tuscany in a few weeks time and I’m even more excited now! What a fabulous place you stayed in and your photos are amazing.

Caroline

• August 1, 2017 / 9:59 am

How fantastic Caroline! I must say I’m very jealous lol…I would return in a heartbeat! Which part of Tuscany are you visiting?

5. July 28, 2017 / 8:00 am

So nice that you have revisited – it looks absolutely gorgeous! Italy is my favourite destination in Europe – love the food & people and Tuscany is especially beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend, Maggie!

Miriam xx

• August 1, 2017 / 9:58 am

Me too Miriam – you really can’t go wrong in Italy as it literally has everything! The food and Prosecco is hard to beat xx

6. July 28, 2017 / 9:02 pm

This gives me such a sense of de ja vu from somewhere we stayed in the Languedoc – rustic chic indeed on that basis!

• August 1, 2017 / 9:56 am

Ooo where did you stay in Languedoc? I would love to visit Languedoc along with Provence…I have my eye on the Lavender fields!

7. July 29, 2017 / 10:24 am

I just love that rustic Tuscan architecture!!

8. July 31, 2017 / 11:17 pm

I love Tuscany and think it’s one of the most romanticized (and rightly so) cities in the world! That brekky with a view is breathtaking, and I love your outfit! x

• August 1, 2017 / 9:55 am

Thanks Honey 🙂 – it’s so beautiful and I’ve still yet to find rural countryside quite like Tuscany! xx

9. August 1, 2017 / 5:43 am

I stayed here when I visited Chianti and absolutely LOVED it! Reading this has brought back so many lovely memories!

• August 1, 2017 / 9:54 am

I love that you have stayed here also Harpreet! The hotel is stunning and the views are just incredible…so pleased it has brought back wonderful memories for you 🙂

10. August 7, 2017 / 7:52 pm

What a truly wonderful part of the world to have tied the knot in! I’ve never been to the Tuscan countryside so this all sounds so lush Maggie!

• August 10, 2017 / 10:16 pm

Shikha you would love it – the Tuscan countryside has to be my favourite place in the world and it’s so incredibly romantic too!