My Travel Fears & Travel Scares

My blog posts thus far have generally revolved around my globe trotting adventures of luxury travel. Today however, I’m taking a slightly different angle and for this month’s travel link up, I’m sharing with you my travel fears and travel scares.  You know, the things you hope won’t happen but sometimes inadvertently do happen.

travel fears

Engine Failure

I’m pretty sure half of the world’s population would list engine failure on their list of travel fears. It’s one of those things you hear about and hope never happens to you. When it does happen and you find yourself midway over the Atlantic, well it’s just as petrifying as the horror films lead you to believe. Dumping fuel in the “hope we make it back to land” aren’t the words of a pilot whose feeling rather confident about landing safely and in one piece. Adding to the drama are the toilets being out of use, no power at the back of the plane and five hours of panicky adults, children and babies. Thankfully I live to tell the tale but after a 5 hour journey to land, followed by a 13 hour wait to board a new plane, followed by another 12 hour flight….you might say you hope never to find yourself in that situation.

travel fears

Spider Bites

Me and spiders have never had the best of friendships. From the age of zero I’ve been pretty petrified of them and its safe to say I probably always will be. Imagine the predicament I found myself in five years ago on a work trip to Buenos Aires. There I was fast asleep, minding my own business when along crawls a spider and injects it’s nasty venom into my little ankle. At the time I was none the wiser THANK GOD but over the course of the next week, my health took a downward spiral. I admit I left it a little late to get checked out. How was I to know that what began as a tiny water filled blister on my ankle would explode into a boil the size of a fried egg filled with a generous dolloping of yellow yolk in the middle?!

travel fears

I’ve spared you the graphic pictures as I don’t want to put you off reading my blog ever again 🙂 . It took me four months to fully recover including a month off work in the aftermath because I couldn’t walk. It then took a further three months for my skin to re-heal and countless appointments at The London School of Tropical Diseases. I am fully aware of lucky I am as the ending could have been very different. What I will say is this – if you ever receive a bite while you’re abroad, don’t stop yourself from getting checked out because you think you’re being dramatic. I didn’t want to make a fuss which is why it took me so long to get to the hospital. This is ridiculous in hindsight as I was in absolute agony by the end. In case you were wondering, I haven’t returned to Buenos Aires since.

What Are Your Travel Fears?

1. August 1, 2017 / 10:10 am

Engine failure…gasp!!! Just as bad as turbulence in my book but that tad bit worse! Glad you lived to tell the tale! #travellinkup

• August 6, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Haha I would definitely say engine failure is worse – I am extremely glad I live to tell the tale too 🙂

• August 6, 2017 / 6:49 pm

You always hear about them and then hope that they never happen to you 🙂

2. August 1, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Oh my gosh I’d have been terrified. I’m a really confident flyer but have been really shook up after some horrible turbulence that flew me out of the seat! Can’t imagine the panic!

• August 6, 2017 / 6:49 pm

I’ve never had that kind of turbulence before but that would totally freak me out! I must say though that I’m not the best flyer these days which is ironic lol

3. August 1, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Oh my goodness that spider bite sounds awful! And I can’t even bear to think about engine failure – that is one of my biggest fears. I can’t believe you had to go through that and wait for so long to land either! x

Jenny | LuxeStyle

• August 6, 2017 / 6:53 pm

I won’t lie, it was pretty horrendous and the recovery was not fun. My husband had to dress my wound twice a day, every single day for three months…that’s what you call love 🙂 xx

4. August 1, 2017 / 5:17 pm

I once got stung my a scorpion on holiday so now more wary of creepy crawlers

• August 6, 2017 / 6:56 pm

OMG that must have been terrifying?!! Did you go to hospital and did you have any side effects?

5. August 1, 2017 / 11:39 pm

OMG, I’m still remembering the cringe and itch I felt hearing that spider story! Lol. Citronelle is our friend!

• August 6, 2017 / 6:58 pm

I was so tempted to put some photos on my post but honestly they are bad and you probably wouldn’t have spoken to me for like a year haha! xx

6. Suze
    August 2, 2017 / 3:07 pm

I thought that the spider picture was rather graphic actually 😉 Can’t stand them but have never been bitten by one – how awful. Your site looks different, I like the new layout

• August 6, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Haha 🙂 – I’m terrible with them…even tiny ones now I completely freak out and fear takes hold!

7. Gabrielle
    August 2, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Eek! I’m not at ALL surprised spider bites are on your list of travel fears! I’m sorry to hear you had to experience a spider bite… that’s also one of my greatest fears (both travel-related, and otherwise!).

aglassofice.com
    x

• August 6, 2017 / 7:02 pm

I’m just thankful that firstly I didn’t see it otherwise I would have totally paralysed with fear and secondly that the bite wasn’t deadly but its definitely a warning to all travellers. Also I always check my bed before I get into it at night now 🙂 xx

8. August 3, 2017 / 8:31 am

Two of my worst nightmares. I actually shivered with fear while I was reading this!

• August 6, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Eeek sorry – it was for the best that I didn’t include the actual images of my bite! One thing I always do now every single night is check the bed before getting into it even at home!

9. August 3, 2017 / 9:21 am

Engine failure and spider bites are certainly high up on my list of travel fears – thankfully I have not had those experiences yet. Glad you fully recovered from your spider bite in Buenos Aires, what a nightmare! Creepy crawlies are not my cup of tea at all and of course, you never know whether they are harmless or not when you are in a different country!

Miriam xx

• August 6, 2017 / 7:20 pm

That’s so true Miriam! It’s so important to be vigilant of any bites or if you notice anything unusual on your skin as you just never know! xx

10. August 4, 2017 / 8:14 am

This was such a great theme for this month’s travel link-up! I hadn’t even though about it, but bugs and critters are a huge scare for me … most of the places we’ve stayed at in Thailand and Sri Lanka, etc. have a huge outdoor element to them … gorgeous outside bathrooms with huge tubs, etc. but I would ALWAYS check the toilet seat for a lizard when I went in the middle of the night! Your spider story reminded me of that!

xo Jaime
    Angloyankophile

• August 6, 2017 / 11:11 pm

This sounds silly but whenever I’m in Asia I always make sure that toilet seat is down as I’m petrified that a snake is going to peer out and slither through lol! xx

11. August 4, 2017 / 10:43 am

Crikey you have had some worrying times! Glad you came through them with just a story to tell. I remember the time before take off the pilot said ‘we have plenty of fuel’… Well yes, I rather hoped we did!

• August 6, 2017 / 11:12 pm

Hahaha – sometimes pilots give a little too much information away!

12. August 7, 2017 / 5:48 am

I think engine failure would be mine!!!

• August 10, 2017 / 10:16 pm

Engine failure is scary and not one to be repeated lol!

13. August 8, 2017 / 11:25 am

WHAT?! Definitely thought you were just telling a hypothetical story to start with.. until I realized you actually HAD been in a plane with engine failure!! Absolutely terrifying – glad everything turned out okay and that you got on that next plane and kept traveling!

• August 10, 2017 / 10:15 pm

Haha I wish I was joking lol!! Yeah thankfully it hasn’t stopped me from travelling but I do need a tipple of something strong before I get on a plane now 🙂