Picture Perfect Postcards from Alberta Canada

If you’re a fan of the outdoors and appreciate natural beauty then I urge you to add Alberta to your travel bucket list. In 2015, I ventured over to Canada for the first time and two years later, I still can’t get our trip out of my head. I was never much of an adventurer growing up but since marrying a Bear Grylls in the making, I’m an outdoors convert. Here are some of my favourite moments from our time in Alberta Canada.

Alberta Canada

Driving

If you have the time, then hire a car, if only for a portion of your Canadian adventure. The roads from British Columbia to Alberta are the best I’ve come across. Plus there’s no traffic, you’re more or less restricted to one road, everyone drives safely and the views are every bit as spectacular in person as they appear in your car wing mirror.

Alberta Canada

Bears

We visited Alberta Canada in May and despite hearing rumblings of bear sightings, never in a million years did we expect to see any. It’s worth bearing in mind that May is when bears come out of hibernation. That being said, May and June is the best time of year to visit weather wise. The snow has more or less melted and the temperatures are warm without being stifling. We did see a lot of bears on our travels but they were at a comfortable distance mostly. Also they are also absolutely fascinating to watch and a joy to capture on film.

Alberta Canada

The Lakes

Every country boasts a lake or two to its name but nowhere has lakes more spectacular than Canada. This photo was taken midway through our hike of the ‘Five Lakes’, my favourite hiking trail. Despite getting a tad lost along the way, it didn’t matter because every lake we encountered, was pretty damn stunning.

Alberta Canada

Evenings

Spring evenings in Alberta are best spent outdoors. Whilst there’s a definite chill to the air, sipping your aperitivo in front of an open fire, staring at the most beautiful landscape is what I would call pretty special.

Alberta Canada

Glaciers

If you get the opportunity to visit a glacier then do it. We stumbled upon the Athabasca Glacier en route to Jasper and couldn’t say no. This is one of the largest non-polar ice fields in the world and boarding the Ice Explorer to the glacier, is a memorable experience in itself. Once you arrive, you have 20 minutes or so to walk on, feel and even drink from the Glacier.

Alberta Canada

Hiking

If you love hiking then the Canadian Rockies are calling your name! Hand on heart, they have some of the most incredible hiking trails in the world. We spent a lot of time in Jasper and Banff and were blown away on every single hike we did.

Alberta Canada

Final Thoughts

I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane and that my photos go some way towards swaying you into visiting Alberta Canada. If you are tempted, then I recommend flying into Vancouver first and spending a few nights there before crossing through British Columbia and heading on to Alberta. Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world, so if you do find yourself here then feel free to check out my Vancouver Tips.

Alberta Canada

Have you visited Alberta Canada before?

1. September 15, 2017 / 3:00 pm

Stunning scenery. Even prettier than Colorado. Banff and Lake Louise are on my to do list.

• September 25, 2017 / 10:41 am

Banff and Lake Louise are beautiful Melissa – try and stay at the Fairmont Lake Louise when you do make it over there as the views from the hotel are stunning especially during sunset!

2. September 18, 2017 / 7:45 am

Now this is the type of adventure packed holiday I need back in my life! Never been to Canada and I need to change that!

• September 25, 2017 / 10:38 am

I think, your hubbie and the girls would love it Sima – there are so many activities and Vancouver is a great city to fly in to first!

3. September 18, 2017 / 8:36 am

WOW! Canada has always been on my list, I just didn’t realise how stunning it was.

• September 25, 2017 / 10:36 am

Zoe Canada is absolutely incredible – definitely another country to add to your travel bucket list ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. September 18, 2017 / 10:53 am

I would so love to revisit Canada I think it must have some of the best scenery in the world.

• September 25, 2017 / 10:35 am

I’ve yet to find scenery that beats Canada – it really is such a beautiful country and one which I would love to explore more of!

5. September 21, 2017 / 9:16 am

Alberta looks absolutely stunning – love the outdoors and how amazing to see bears int he wild. It is has been a long time since we have visited Vancouver, such a great city. Would love to revisit and discover more of surrounding area!

Miriam x

• September 25, 2017 / 10:34 am

Vancouver is a fabulous city. I couldn’t recommend British Columbia and Alberta more Miriam – the landscape is absolutely spectacular! x

6. Susan R
    September 22, 2017 / 1:25 pm

It must have been amazing to see bears in the wild. The Ice Explorer looks like fun too! Definitely a place that I’d love to visit

• September 25, 2017 / 10:33 am

We saw so many bears Suze and it really was incredible to watch! I think you and Paul would love Alberta!

7. October 10, 2017 / 11:32 pm

Wow!!! Your pics are stunning. Iโ€™ve never really had any immediate desires to travel here but now Iโ€™m adding it to my list. The blue of those lakes ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Incredible. Also I canโ€™t believe you saw bears!!! That is so fun. Iโ€™ve seen a black bear cub once but that was it. Sounds like an amazing trip.

xxM