The Flam Railway – One of The World’s Most Beautiful Train Journeys

Approaching the cruise terminal, Mr O’T and I waited patiently to exit. Our plan to be one of the first to disembark the P&O Britannia had worked. It was 8am on a Wednesday morning and we’d just docked in Flam. The majority of passengers were still snoozing, a privilege if you’d booked onto one of many tours that weren’t departing for another hour or two. We had no such privilege. As we’d opted to go off-piste, we needed to be up and out pronto to secure tickets for the Flam Railway, one of the world’s most beautiful train journeys.

Flam Norway

If you’ve been on a cruise before then you’ll know that cruise liners actively encourage passengers to purchase tours through them. This has it’s benefits of course, the main one being that you can pay, show up and leave the organisation to the pros. The one disadvantage however, is the mark-up in price, which can vary significantly depending on the tour. As you can probably guess, we opted to book our own tours. This meant we had additional spends to use wisely onboard The Glasshouse Champagne Bar on P&O 😁🥂!

Flam Norway

After queuing for all of three minutes, we made the 8:15am train and secured those all important window seats. If Lonely Planet found it breathtaking enough to dub the Flam Railway as ‘the world’s most beautiful train journey’ in 2014, then I for one wanted to savour every single minute.

Flam Railway

I won’t lie, I’ve been a little spoilt when it comes to epic train journeys. So this did leave me pondering if the Flam Railway could really compete with the likes of the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada and the Glacier Express in Switzerland.

Flam Railway

But every train journey is different and from the moment we departed Flam, to the moment we arrived in Myrdal, every single passenger was glued to their window sill.

Flam Norway

With steep mountains, spectacular waterfalls and scenic valleys, the Flam Railway is one of the best train rides you’ll experience in Europe.

Flam Norway

The train ride up to Myrdal takes around an hour and other than a little cafe, there isn’t much to do when you reach the top. You are given around 15 minutes to have mosey around and take snaps before jumping back on the train down to Flam.

Flam Railway

If you’re quite active and you like a bit of adventure, then take the Flam Railway up to Myrdal and hike or bike your way back down. Mr O’T and I opted for the latter and hired bikes from the local cafe in Myrdal to bike the beautiful 20km path back to Flam. It took us three hours to bike down in total. The first 30 minutes were the most strenuous but after that, the paths were flat and the views speak for themselves. Hand on heart, this is the most beautiful bike ride I have ever done.

Flam Railway

I left Flam with a happy heart and if you’re ever considering visiting the Norwegian Fjords then don’t hesitate twice. Flam needs to make it to the top of your Norwegian bucket list!

Have you ever visited Flam before and experienced the Flam Railway?

Bubble Tips

champagne glass png If you’re not booked onto a tour with your cruise liner then you can purchase your Flam Railway tickets in one of two ways. Firstly by downloading the Norwegian Rail app on your phone and buying tickets that way. Secondly, purchase your tickets on arrival at the Flam Visitors centre.

champagne glass png If you choose to buy your tickets on arrival, then disembark the boat as early as possible because the later trains are generally fully booked with tour groups.

champagne glass png You can save approximately 30% by buying your train tickets directly on the app or at the ticket desk.

champagne glass png Take waterproof clothing with you especially if you plan on hiking or biking back to Flam. The weather can turn at any moment so be prepared.

champagne glass png Don’t forget your camera!

1. September 26, 2017 / 12:24 pm

Eek this really does look beautiful! I’ve never really done a stunning train ride as I’ve always driven etc but when I next visit somewhere mountainous I’m definitely going to check them out!

• September 29, 2017 / 12:48 am

I know what you mean because we drive a lot too – there are some incredible train journeys out there though so definitely check them out 🙂 xx

2. September 26, 2017 / 12:58 pm

Wow this place looks and sounds amazing! I would love to do a trip like this 🙂 Beautiful pictures!

Holly x

• September 29, 2017 / 12:43 am

Thank you so much Holly – we really loved this trip! xx

3. September 27, 2017 / 8:39 am

Oh what a truly spectacular journey!!

• September 29, 2017 / 12:41 am

There are some incredible train journeys out there – I’m definitely becoming a bit of a train geek ha!

• October 5, 2017 / 10:23 pm

We had a wonderful time thank you Violette! This part of the Fjords really is spectacular!

4. September 29, 2017 / 9:36 am

aah I’m so jealous! 😀 there are just two big travel destinations that I really wanna see some day and that is the USA and scandinvia 😀 soo you see I would have really liked to be at your place 🙂 but instead I enjoy my time with my husband at the vitalpina hotels in south tyrol
    greetings from claudia

• October 5, 2017 / 10:22 pm

I’m sure you will make it happen some day Claudia 🙂

5. October 2, 2017 / 12:23 pm

Ah, this brings it all back to me! I rode the Flam railway back in February. It was part of a press trip with Visit Norway, and we stopped halfway to Myrdal, at Vatnahalsen Hofjellshotel. I’d recommend the place. Incredible waffles!

• October 5, 2017 / 10:21 pm

How wonderful that you visited in February – I bet it was cold back then?! Ooo Norwegian waffles are just delicious!!

6. October 3, 2017 / 1:40 pm

This looks like a fabulous thing to do Maggie – the views look stunning x

• October 5, 2017 / 10:19 pm

It really was a wonderful day Jenny and my favourite part of the Norwegian Fjords! xx

7. Suze
    October 4, 2017 / 9:56 pm

What a great combination of a gorgeous train ride and bike ride! The scenery looks so incredible

• October 5, 2017 / 10:13 pm

The scenery was beautiful Suze – you would have loved the train and bike ride as it gave us the best of both worlds!

8. October 5, 2017 / 3:30 pm

What a gorgeous train journey – I like how you managed to avoid the mark-up in price by booking it yourself and wisely spent it on champagne instead 🙂

Miriam x

• October 5, 2017 / 10:13 pm

Haha yes I was a little savvy in that respect 😉 xx

9. October 5, 2017 / 6:25 pm

Now this is one way to travel in style, your photographs are just magical. I’ve always been keen to visit the Norwegian Fjords it looks rather magical.

Experiencing Flam Railway would be quite the experience and like that it stops off for quality picture time!

Lovely post and thanks for sharing it with us all Maggie!

Laura xo

• October 5, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Thank you for your lovely words Laura!! The Flam Railway was a wonderful way to take in the landscape and the bike ride was fantastic too! xx